Name: Mary Lou Ryan
DOB: 4th October 1977
Place of birth: Melbourne, Australia
Occupation: Co-founder of bassike
1. Did you always know you wanted to become a Mama?
Creating a family has always been important to me. I feel very blessed to be gifted with three beautiful children.
2. Growing up, what did you think you wanted to do for a living?
I always loved clothing and how they made you feel. It was a way of connecting with people. Although I had always dreamed of starting my own label, there was also one point when I wanted to become a midwife.
3. What are some items in your life you cannot live without?
I do love cashmere.
4. How have your notions of what it means to be a woman in business changed over your lifetime?
I think there is a lot more work to be done supporting women in business - especially working Mums. It is a topic that I am becoming more interested in. Often highly educated and skilled women find themselves in lesser roles. The government and businesses need to explore ways to support women returning to the workforce.
5. What are some grocery items that are in your basket every single week?
We keep it pretty simple. Lots of organic fruit and veggies. Plus a little bit of chocolate.
6. How has your working-life changed since becoming a Mama?
It has changed in so many ways. You do so much growing when you become a Mummy. You start to realise the little things are not so important.
7. What are your favourite indulgences?
Having a facial.
8. Is there a moment or event that radically changed the way you saw the world?
COVID-19 and Black Lives Matter. Each of these events has made an impact and bought up a lot of emotion. Black Lives Matter has been an incredible global movement that has certainly given me permission to listen and learn more from our own situation in Australia. We must stand shoulder to shoulder, and listen to the Uluru Statement from the Heart. We must support change. This is the only way we can move forward.
9. What is one thing you are loving right now?
At the moment, I am loving the podcast Expanded by Lacy Phillip.
10. How do you ground yourself in stressful times?
Being well-rested, eating nourishing foods, and exercise is the best way for me to stay grounded. I also firmly believe there is an idea and a solution to fix any problem that comes your way. Always look at it as an opportunity to grow, even in the most difficult times.
Mary Lou wears a Verse Love Letters necklace BBA in 18k solid yellow gold.